1987 Silverado LS Swap
Posted On: 1/18/2013 8:45AM
browning87chevy

I had wanted a '87 Chevy truck for a long time because it was both the last year of the this body style and the first year of fuel injection (TBI). Now I'm looking to start a LS swap. I got the truck with a bad transmission three years ago. I put a rebuilt TH350 in the truck and later a new 350 from a friend that had 10,000 miles on it. Used the truck for the next few years for hunting and hauling house remodeling garbage. But the 6.9 miles per gallon was getting a little old! Continue reading...

A buddy has a shop and they have been putting LS motors in all kinds of cars and trucks. From Mustangs to a '48 Chevy truck. Generally, they turned out sweet. One of them was even putting 650hp to the ground with help from a turbo. SO I thought why not my truck. I started to search online and this sit came up. There is a '78 Chevy in progress right now with the same swap. I am going to be starting to pull the TBI 5.7 and the TH350 out this weekend so I will try to keep everyone in the loop. I also will be posting pictures of he donor truck.

Avatar By: StreetsideStig
1/18/2013 10:19 AM

Sounds awesome! Leave the body as is and you've got a pretty great sleeper.

1/18/2013 10:58 AM

Sounds good since you wouldn't think in a million years that an LS engine would be in that truck. My suggestion would be to put another truck V8 (Vortec) in there since a Vortec would have the right low end TQ for a truck. An LS would be fine, but they're made for cars, not trucks that are used for towing and hauling. It would still work fine if you didn't use it for work, but I just don't have experience or heard anything about how good an LS would do in a truck, at least a full size "heavy Chevy". So maybe put in a 5.78 Vortec like that's in my 98 Silverado, or a 5.3 that's the normal V8 in 99s and newer. Better yet, the 6.0 Vortec from the HD gasser trucks which if you look around you might be able to find a wrecked truck with the engine and transmission. That 6.0 was also put in some 1/2 ton 1500 GM trucks for a little while. Just suggestions.

Avatar By: Mbeezy3405
1/18/2013 11:12 AM

my uncle built my cousin a truck similar to this in high school. coolest truck in the lot. Good luck

Avatar By: BIG_CIVIC
1/18/2013 4:27 PM

Sounds like a great sleeper project. But fix the rust or else all that power might shake the body to pieces, lol.

Avatar By: Brandan86
1/19/2013 2:52 PM

Trucks on Spike tv is doing something very similar to what you are this weekend. Putting a 6.0l in a 70s Cheyenne. maybe check it out.

Avatar By: browning87chevy
1/20/2013 1:19 PM

This LS motor came out of a 99 GMC Z71 truck. It is a 5.3 and the 4L60E is till together. I will have to use my stock t-case. I did see the Trucks show with the 71 C-10 truck. I do have plans to restore the truck. It may even be getting a new cab. Thanks for all the comments!