New Subaru BRZ STi Will Not Get A Turbo
Posted On: 6/29/2012 10:08AM
RickyRotary704

So the year 2012 finally brought us an affordable sports car for the Toyota family (in contrast to the $350,00 price tag of the Lexus LFA). This is the only true sports car (in my opinion the Celica and the convertible MR-2 don't count) that Toyota has offered since the death of the famous Supra in 1998. I'm sure you already, to keep costs down this is a joint effort between Toyota and Subaru, whose twin FR-S and BRZ will share a 2.0L mill engineered by Subaru. Subaru recently announced an STi version for 2014 that will feature lower and sportier suspension and the kind of flamboyant body embellishment that STi is famous for. The BRZ STi will slso get an additional 50 HP, though the power will come from adjustments to the VVT system, not from a turbocharger. Subaru says they plan on keeping power outputs between the WRX STi and the BRZ STi signiciantly different. That makes me you wonder with the current BRZ at around $26k, how much will the STi version cost? An additional $8k to $10K more? And how much with the next generation WRX cost? I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

Avatar By: blackspike2710
6/29/2012 10:17 AM

So Toyota can't build its own car, and Subaru can't turbo it's own engine? Looks like I will keep buying American.

6/29/2012 10:49 AM

REAR. WHEEL. DRIVE.

Avatar By: tazgts
6/29/2012 11:12 AM

Blackspike you idiot, Toyota owns 30% of Subaru. Know your facts before you blurt nonsense out. Its better than stupid Fords using Mazda motors/parts or Dodge buying Mitsubishi cars and putting their name on it (colt, stealth, etc.)

6/29/2012 11:16 AM

REAR. WHEEL. DRIVE.

Avatar By: subcero
6/29/2012 1:35 PM

Got dam tazgts calm yo dam azz down. It's not even that serious shit. I agree that it still sucks to pay around $26k for 200 hp and you know that 250 hp will take it over $30k. Man that's stupid. I can hear import fans saying,"Oh its not for a straight line. It's for road courses and turns and shit." Man you guys crack me up.

Avatar By: usnrocker
6/29/2012 2:24 PM

Everyone i know has been bitching about the fact that there wasnt a turbo.. said "ill wait for the STi because itll be a turbo" and i laughed at them and said its just gonna handle better and have an aero kit... proof is in the pudding..

Avatar By: blackspike2710
6/29/2012 2:37 PM

Step one in finding a Toyota fanboy. Lol!

Avatar By: tazgts
6/29/2012 2:55 PM

^yeah obviously I am, and you don't even have a car. I hate kids trolling on the Internet is all.

Avatar By: blackspike2710
6/29/2012 3:14 PM

Not trolling, stating opinions. You don't like it? Fuck Off.

6/29/2012 3:28 PM

REAR. WHEEL. DRIVE.

Avatar By: M45lover
6/29/2012 6:13 PM

Everyone with a even half a brain knew there was no way they would give this car power anywhere close to the STi. 250-275HP would do wonders for this car so it should be enough.

Avatar By: usnrocker
6/29/2012 6:39 PM

lets see... spend 30k for the STi, another 5k for an intake, exhaust and tune maybe 300ish horsepower spend 25k for FRS and 10k for Turbo, Exhaust and tune make 300 ... makes sense to me... and us Toyota Fan boys will whoop some ass when cornered...

6/29/2012 6:47 PM

How is this news? Months ago one of the heads of Subaru said there will definitely not be a turbo. I don't understand why people insist in force induction though, the extra 50hp should be more than fine for the weight of this car the turbo would just add weight and lag.

Avatar By: tazgts
6/29/2012 6:47 PM

@blackspike and I was just stating facts, facts>opinions. Go get a car kid. Anyway, I believe greddy already has a turbo kit for these cars. You want HP? Build it yourself people.

Avatar By: Bander15
6/29/2012 11:27 PM

I really wouldn't need a turbo. The car sounds like fun to me without it. Besides, I'm sure an aftermarket will be available at some point. I like the Scion version better anyway.

6/30/2012 7:09 AM

REAR. WHEEL. DRIVE.

Avatar By: 5henaniganz
6/30/2012 12:09 PM

NES not only that, but I remember commenting on this exact same topic in a post possibly months ago. the lack of a turbo version has been common knowledge for some time now, and its because they didnt want any turbo lag. I'd rather turbocharge something myself anyways rather than buy it that way.

Avatar By: boatdude13
6/30/2012 4:46 PM

Did I have a comment on here that got deleted, or am I suffering from early dementia?

Avatar By: RickyRotary704
7/3/2012 3:54 PM

I love the heated topics.. To ___Nes___ : You are 100% correct, this car has gorgious lines, and plenty of horsepower to make it fun, but at the same time keeps power low enough to keep the insurance lizards and ducks at bay. To 5shenaniganz: For a true gear-head it is always about building your car not buying it. To tazgtz: While Subaru is partially owned by Toyota this is the first time (to my knowledge) that they share a platform. Each car manufacture is bringing something to the table. Subaru's engineering with Toyota's volume output capabilities. To usnrocker: Suby is just trying to give itself some options, I lived in Colorado and you NEED the AWD and I know live in Miami where RWD is just fine, especially if it helps with gas consumption. To Bander15: The car is amazing, and I agree with getting the Scion version aswell, it's the SAME car, but for about $4,000 cheaper. You get a little less standard options, but I'd sacifice power-seats to save that cash for a turbo and proper tuning... maybe some TRD parts are around the corner too. THANK YOU ALL!!! oh b.t.w. boatdude13, yes you are demented.

Avatar By: usnrocker
7/4/2012 6:36 PM

i said no such thing about AWD...

Avatar By: RickyRotary704
7/5/2012 6:36 AM

you sure didn't.... i totally misread your comment. sorry. I'm upset that the WRX STi will cost about $38k new, give you over 300hp and just pure adrenaline, the kind of performance that will make the luxury sports car class quiver (M3, IS-F, AMG, S4-5, etc.) Then they introduce THIS! the BRZ STi and it will cost $30k-ish that will MAYBE keep up with the Hyundai Coupe V6, Mustang V6, Camaro V6, and the RX-8. But you can rev that $30k all day long, then the poor-man's porsche comes along (Nissan 370z) the base model, with it's 325hp 6spd. it cost's $30K just the same and say good-bye the the entire affordable sports car class, and some of the luxury sports car class.

Avatar By: SubaruAlex18
10/16/2012 9:21 AM

the wrx-sti has been my favorite car since i was 12, but ive always perfered coups, theyve always tend to look nicer and were lighter due to the fact they were 2 door which helped with picking up speed, it does suck that when subaru finally came out with a nice coup, they underpower it due to the fact they didnt want to give there prize car (WRX-sti) competition, it also suck that most likley the BRZ-sti will be in the 30Ks when you can just get a WRX-sti and have more hp and even mod it to increase the HP even more when if you want to mod the BRZ-sti it will just be to catch up to the stock WRX-sti, BUT, i highly doubt you wont be able to supercharge the BRZ-sti yourself and maybe do a few mods to the engine to sustantially increase to HP, yea in the end maybe it still wont compare to the WRX-sti, but the rumors they put on how they have no space for a turbo or that they couldnt put AWD is bull, they underpowered it because subaru just wanted a nice fancy car that isnt all about racing, they finally decided to come out with a nice classy car which they laced in having because the WRX was literally the only car i can consider buying from subaru, im not to shocked about the new BRZ not having turbo, but not having AWD was something i expected