Shelby's Pocket Rockets
Posted On: 5/17/2012 11:07AM
SuzyBruisy

Redline Dodge is running a cool retrospective on the 2.2L compacts on which Carroll Shelby collaborated with Dodge in the 80s under Lee Iacocca. I've always wanted an Omni GLH, and I also kind of dig this Shelby Shadow (known as the CSX), which was mentioned in the article but not pictured. Interesting point: "Looking back, one could argue that Dodge and Shelby created the FWD Tuner market over two decades ago." Read the rest here.

Avatar By: thrasher86
5/17/2012 11:34 AM

man my buddy had a 87 shelby dayton for about 3 months before he blew the engine. man that was a sweet car. i still cant believe he junked it for 300 bones.

Avatar By: FuryPaul
5/17/2012 12:41 PM

When I was shopping for my first-ever brand-new car in late 1985 and early 1986, the one I wanted most was a Dodge Shelby Charger. Red or blue, with a five-speed. Yeah... Trouble was, I was 22, and they stickered over $10k, and I knew in my gut that since the Shelby Charger had a turbo I would be able to either buy it or insure it--but not both. So I settled for a base Charger that was basically a de-striped and de-body-kitted Charger 2.2. Over a quarter-century later, I'd still like to own a Shelby Charger. It would be the lowest-horsepower car I owned at this point (146hp is just a tad less than my 2.4L Stratus and exactly half what my Pentastar-equipped Charger makes), but it'd still be 2400 pounds of corner-carving fun.

Avatar By: fortyfordsedan
5/17/2012 4:18 PM

I know a guy with a GHL autocrosser and a GHLS. Has about the most eclectic mix of Mopars I have seen including a Spirit Turbo 3. Those cars were some of the most forward thinking cars he worked on.

Avatar By: retroman
5/17/2012 8:37 PM

Thanks, Jen. Sometimes we Shelby Mopar enthusiasts don't feel the love from our Ford brethren. I have driven many Shelby Dodges. My buddy owned a Shelby Daytona and a Omni GLH. They are great cars, and I enjoy them as much as I do a GT500 or 427 Cobra. I wholly agree with you that Shelby did create the FWD performance market, producing his GLH and GLHS years before Honda had the slightest inkling to soupe up a Civic. fortyfordsedan: I know what you mean by the Spirit TIII. I own one, and that little R/T is still one heck of a ride. Even though she just turned 20, She's been known to still school new BMWs and Audis. RIP Carroll Shelby

Avatar By: downtownjeep
5/20/2012 4:01 PM

Thanks, Jen! I knew i could count on you to give the nod to the underappreciated Shelby cars. I remember these cars when they were new. My Dad was the General Manager at the local Chrysler store when i was growing up. We didn't sell many in our small town, but Obviously what few we did sell left an impression on an eight year old boy. I haven't done it yet, but I did promise myself I'd buy a blue and silver Shelby Charger someday! They're great little cars!

Avatar By: thegarbear05
5/21/2012 3:45 PM

i wish mine was a shelby

Avatar By: moparornocarman
5/21/2012 7:42 PM

Nice article

Avatar By: DevilDogg87
5/21/2012 8:46 PM

RIP Carrol Shelby

Avatar By: carfreak73
5/22/2012 12:46 PM

RIP Mr Shelby. I really love his early stuff, but I have a soft spot for his turbo compacts. I would definitely rock a CSX or GLHS.

Avatar By: betitotheone
5/23/2012 1:57 PM

THANKS PUBLISHERS FOR GIVING SOME SPACE TO SOMEBODY THAT NEEDS RECOGNITION FROM ALL THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. MR. SHELBY WILL BE A SPECIAL ICON TROUGH TIME, AND LIKE GREAT PAINTERS HIS WORK WILL BE VALUED MORE AND MORE TROUGH TIME; I ONLY HOPE THAT HE GOT THAT RECOGNITION IN LIFE.. I WANT TO GUESS THAT HE KNEW.... THOSE CLOSE FRIENDS TO HIM.. MIGHT AGREE WITH ME.. WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM THEM.. THANKS..