2014 Mustang: Less Retro, More Fusion?
Posted On: 4/17/2012 9:08AM
66Mope

Last week at the New York Auto Show I couldn't get J Mays to talk about the new Mustang at all. His PR folks had him on a total gag order. We do know that the next Mustang will be a bit smaller, have IRS, and it's probably not a stretch to say it will be a more modern looking car that borrows some of the design language seen in other recent Ford vehicles. But Michael Ramsey at the Wall Street Journal is predicting a fairly radical departure from the retro-theme Mustangs we have been seeing recently, and and says it will be designed to appeal to a younger audience (the average age of a Mustang buyer is 51). Will it look like the Evos concept below? Time will tell. Read the full article at the Wall Street Journal

Avatar By: boatdude13
4/17/2012 9:20 AM

I think that IRS is a good idea. I know that all of the fanboys will hate it though

Avatar By: timpalass
4/17/2012 9:26 AM

IRS is stupid. Whatever that is in the picture sure looks like shit too.

4/17/2012 9:49 AM

Hey, I bought my 2007 for a reason...

Avatar By: TDWPgtp
4/17/2012 11:37 AM

mustangs are boring. the car picture looks pretty good though. however, it seems to have some proportions borrowed from a bentley continental gt

Avatar By: 97scortkid
4/17/2012 12:22 PM

First of all, what is IRS on a car? Secondly, I like the radical design change, not to mention its got a futuristic feel to it without being too far from the comforts of modernism. But I am in love with the current design, but so am I with the 1964 and a half models...

4/17/2012 12:23 PM

IRS - independent rear suspension

Avatar By: My sweet rides
4/17/2012 12:33 PM

I own a 2010 Mustang and I love it! This new concept is going totally the wrong direction. Yes Mustangs could use a more modern suspension for better handling. I think the car above looks like an Eclipse with a fusion front end. Hey I have an idea lets make mustangs even smaller! put 4 cylinder engines in them and call them mustang II, oh wait they already did that. Then whats next? The fox body!?! NOT!!!!!! Sorry, I had a mental breakdown. They say: "the average age of a Mustang buyer is 51". You know why? Mustangs are Fucking expensive! 2012 Base GT $32,000, loaded GT premium $38,000! What FORD needs to do is lower the prices then they could get younger buyers! I don't know to many 18 - 25 year old drivers that can afford a 500.00 a month car payment, expensive insurance, and expensive premium fuel!

Avatar By: Pimped-up
4/17/2012 1:13 PM

I am not a big Mustang fan, but to be honest, this concept looks very good, but this won't be anything like a mustang if this goes in production, that's why this will never happen. 12' and 13' mustangs are quiet nice looking. I hope they will get an even better design for the next years.

Avatar By: fortyfordsedan
4/17/2012 1:41 PM

It could work if they added mustang type proportions, a longer hood and a short rear deck-lid. I like the poor mans Aston Martin thing Ford has going on.

Avatar By: moorethanenuff
4/17/2012 1:55 PM

IRS is always a good thing...it allows the rear wheels to react independly over bumps rather than being locked together by a solid axle. The solid axle is simpler and cheaper which is why it's still being used. I also agree with sweet64nova... Mustang are too expensive and I would be embarrassed if I were Ford to admit the average buyers age is 51. Ford must have forgotten that the original Mustang was inexpensive and meant for younger buyers.

Avatar By: carfreak73
4/17/2012 3:21 PM

Standard IRS, finally. Ford flirted with IRS in the 99-04 Cobra and it should have been standard in the S197. Ford started the retro pony car thing in 2005, now it's only right that they should be the first to leave it. I don't know about you guys, but I am retro'ed out. I love the old Stangs from the 60s and we had fun strolling down memory lane, now lets move forward with a fresh design. I know the bean counters will water down that Evos concept, but it will still look great, especially if J Mays is involved. Oh, and Ford, get the base GT price down to around $24,000... LOL yeah right.

Avatar By: michaelnsusan
4/17/2012 4:48 PM

If this is going to be called a MUSTANG, a true mustang ford guy will not buy it

Avatar By: gold94corolla
4/17/2012 6:30 PM

There's absolutely nothing "mustang" about that picture.

Avatar By: subcero
4/17/2012 6:47 PM

I don't mind them making it a little modern but I don't want it looking like that. That's too importish and like someone mentioned earlier, it has to have some of the mustang "lines" present in the design.

Avatar By: 77cordobaguy
4/17/2012 6:50 PM

It looks like a Bentley Continental GT a 5th gen Camaro a Mustang and an old Datsun 240-Z had an orgy. This is the forbidden love child. And it ain't happy.

Avatar By: Bander15
4/17/2012 7:14 PM

Regardless of how they go with it. It will still be too expensive for me. If at some point I look to buy a new car it would probably not be a Stang. For the price I could get something better or maybe even save a buck or two for accessories.

Avatar By: Comrick317
4/17/2012 7:45 PM

I like the way THAT car looks................ but as a Mustang..........i don't think so. That's one ugly ass Mustang!

Avatar By: JuzVisitin
4/17/2012 8:21 PM

51!! I have tonnes of freinds way under 51 who could easily afford a Mustang.... but they don't.... they buy BMW's, Audi's, Porsches, Mercedes....ETC....ETC....ETC.... the Mustang and the Camaro and the likes lack a sense of sophistication, they are fun and they are fast, but my age group (mid to late 30's) and my income segment (quite a bit above "average"), Mustangs and the likes are 3rd or 4th cars for track days.... but we can't quite afford that money or that time.... so that purchase sits on the shelf until we are.....about 51....

Avatar By: M45lover
4/17/2012 10:19 PM

That looks NOTHING like a mustang....

Avatar By: retroman
4/17/2012 11:13 PM

The solid axle is great for drag racing which is what most muscle cars are meant for, but I do agree that IRS would add some sophistication to the car. As for the average buyer age being 51, well I can understand some older guys wanting a Shelby or Boss in their younger days and not being able to have one; however, not all young guys want a BMW or Mercedes. I for one am well under 51 and love American muscle cars. I own a 66 Mustang, but I must be in the minority of 20 something guys with one. Lastly, the pic above is NOT a Mustang. It doesn't have the basic lines.

Avatar By: BigTruckin90
4/18/2012 12:47 AM

I think it looks like an Aston Martin. That concept could grow on me.

Avatar By: vanb86
4/18/2012 1:28 AM

Isnt that the mad max car from the new movie? I think i like it... just i dont think it should carry the mustang name

Avatar By: Njobe07
4/18/2012 12:03 PM

hahahahaha it looks like a honda accord coupe!!

Avatar By: boatdude13
4/19/2012 10:47 PM

What does a mustang look like? In a car that has had such a long production run, it's had so many styling changes. I don't think there is even a mustang look

Avatar By: dasobry-76M2
5/18/2012 12:16 PM

I'm writing this comment to the response that (Sweet64Nova) made. Yes this is coming from a Mustang II owner. Ok the Mustang II does not apeal too many people now, but back then it was the right car for the time. The sales were alot better for the M2's than the mustangs now. The mustang II sold over 1 million in 5 years. I think Ford is got the right idea. Enough said.

Avatar By: Freddy1965
6/22/2012 9:45 AM

Don't bag on the concept car too much. Remember they only use some/most of the design cues seen on the concept and carry out those features to the production car. The production Mustang will look nothing like this concept, but it will be targeted for a much younger audience. Hopefully it doesn't look too juvenile.

Avatar By: The Hawk
9/13/2012 10:37 AM

Nice looking car hardly new though. - Hard to say if its actually the new mustang concept...its just not Mustany enough, but then maybe we've had enough of those old styling cues. On the other hand it smacks of Aston Martin and inexpensive Asian cars - Bold yet very familiar - a refinement of an interpretation of whats been done. Fingers crossed!