NYIAS 2012: SRT Viper!!!
Posted On: 4/4/2012 10:30AM
66Mope

I could barely get close to this thing after the unveil, and that was after I waited 20 minutes for the crowds to calm down a bit. (Actually, Ian, who is sitting next to me right now in the press center got much better pics for Jalopnik.) Here are my notes from Ralph Gilles's spiel before the unveil: 50% stiffer body, hood roof and deck carbon fiber, brought back the clamshell hood, and at 3,297 pounds it's the lightest Viper ever. The new motor is rated at 640hp and has the most torque of any production NA motor. It's got Pirelli 355s in back and 295s up from and comes with launch control and even cruise control. Oh, and they are bringing the Viper back to American Le Mans. More pics after the jump!

Update: check out video of the reveal here!

Avatar By: ShadoHHR
4/4/2012 11:15 AM

I guess we all need something new ... ?? ... of course if it was tossed into my yard, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Avatar By: moorethanenuff
4/4/2012 11:15 AM

Looks like the Viper is Top dog once again...The Zr1 may be fast, but it looks like any other Vette and the interior is bland. Take note Chevy: a supercar should look AND perform like one.

Avatar By: Mbeezy3405
4/4/2012 11:31 AM

eh, it dosent really do anything for me :/

4/4/2012 11:46 AM

That looks sick! Need more interior pics but so far it looks as good as the exterior!

Avatar By: GetTheClicker
4/4/2012 11:57 AM

OH baby! THAT'S a viper. I especially love the X-Frame cross bar and DAT ASS!! Somebody get me a box of tissues!

4/4/2012 12:25 PM

Rob are the heat extractors functional? In the gallery that autoblog has they look like a solid piece of plastic with no opening for the heat to come out.

Avatar By: nismo_drifter125
4/4/2012 1:23 PM

About time legendary all these legendary cars are coming back around! It's looking really good! More interior pics are on Top Gear's website: http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/pictures-the-new-srt-viper-gts-2012-04-04?imageNo=0

Avatar By: boatdude13
4/4/2012 2:22 PM

I think that looks amazing!

Avatar By: M45lover
4/4/2012 2:23 PM

Ok, my next car was going to be a GTR but this thing makes a very STRONG case against it. WOW.

Avatar By: tazgts
4/4/2012 3:39 PM

Sexy! Probly half Mitsubishi though lol.

Avatar By: caraddict34
4/4/2012 4:23 PM

so do we know how much this beast costs yet?

Avatar By: NOXQES
4/4/2012 5:25 PM

Well done Dodge, always on top and it's probably staying @ low 90K like the old one. I want to see numbers and it in motion! That hood is sick too!! I would love to see Hennessy get a hold of this bad boy.

4/4/2012 6:21 PM

Video by SRT http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kJuWSk_vAWQ

Avatar By: vanb86
4/5/2012 4:05 AM

Wow i want one, overall i don't think i see anything that i don't like, that x strut on over the motor just screams they really wanted all aspects of handling covered and that American Le Mans car (drool) :d

Avatar By: 74Furyous
4/5/2012 4:33 AM

OK, I'm putting it back on my wish list.

Avatar By: Chevyboy4
4/5/2012 1:09 PM

good looking car but im really not a fan of the headlights

4/5/2012 6:08 PM

What are the air scoops on the back for? Rear brakes somehow?

Avatar By: 95teggsr
4/10/2012 4:37 AM

You may think that the vette should look and perform like this one but the fact is that the vette will go a whole lot longer without needing repair. Chrysler makes really good looking garbage.

Avatar By: net_master6
4/10/2012 5:13 AM

looks like the bat mobile.

Avatar By: mrjasonlyrics
4/10/2012 5:33 AM

I looks pretty sick. What's the specs on it? I hope I can give the GT-R a good run because I've lost faith in what was once my dream car. They could of invested a little more time and effort in the rims. Line it up with the 2012 GT-R now =)

Avatar By: djfoxsr
4/10/2012 5:45 AM

Looks like dodge is building a viper again. It's to big to be a sports car. I mean you can't see your turn over the hood once you get within three blocks of it. Insures you'll miss every apex. I've never seen one win at the drag strip. Maybe if they would move 4 cylinders of that huge motor to the back of the car it could get a little traction. The only time I've ever seen anyone really get on one on the street they made it 50 yards then took out a light pole, 8 cars, and a gas main. But,,, once you realize that the car has no real purpose, and you get bored with it, it will look great in front of Starbucks with your surgically enhanced wife driving it. OMG we used to laugh so hard when those pieces of junk would show up at the local SCCA events and get out run by bone stock neons.

Avatar By: alien69
4/10/2012 6:31 AM

that is one cool car

Avatar By: CaptNemo
4/10/2012 6:57 AM

I see a heavy American-German-Italian influence in the detail. That could be a very good thing.

Avatar By: wflores
4/10/2012 7:30 AM

Uh, yeah........went back to original body lines with some carbon fiber dress ups and ugly headlights and fish mouth grille.........but will it hook up any better than the previous versions, probably not......More torque than before, but the car is lighter and probably mostly in lightened in the rear........not a good formula.................and it looks like a King Kong sat between the rear of the hood and the windshield......squashed the middle of the car......

Avatar By: Mstng2
4/10/2012 7:40 AM

Ugh on the roofline, looks like an overweight Datsun 240Z, and Pray just PRAY you never break that funky shaped rear window. Really like the back end, nice styling there.

Avatar By: 13265
4/10/2012 8:03 AM

Great looking car, i only hope the interior is better quality than before.

Avatar By: AwesomeGuitarist
4/10/2012 9:06 AM

Looks like an Aston

Avatar By: wetwilly86
4/10/2012 9:14 AM

Looks like an aston martin and a merc SLS got freaky. Not a big fan of the headlights but I would have to see it in person to actually make a justified opinion on it.

Avatar By: nicks96cav
4/10/2012 9:48 AM

i like it but i'm not a fan of those tails

Avatar By: viperbabe35
4/10/2012 10:03 AM

im so glad its finally coming back, i was afraid i was gonna have to find another dream car

Avatar By: ken261
4/10/2012 10:42 AM

Really like the interior and carbon fiber touches, but not sold on the roof bumps. Looks a little funky to me.

Avatar By: CamaroRick
4/10/2012 11:02 AM

Cross brace looks like doodoo

Avatar By: NellsJavelin
4/10/2012 11:39 AM

Gee, a redesign I actually don't mind!

Avatar By: gren_monster_zx3
4/10/2012 11:45 AM

Bought new Mercedes SLS? Hope u kept the reseat lol

Avatar By: jsfury
4/10/2012 12:05 PM

Animal!

Avatar By: redhotroy
4/10/2012 3:35 PM

love it love it !! take me away. the slick space ship !!

Avatar By: mdoggolfer
4/10/2012 4:57 PM

nope. ugly. looks like a fish. like an eel.

Avatar By: Comrick317
4/10/2012 5:23 PM

Damn that's nice, i love it.

Avatar By: sdontas
4/10/2012 5:40 PM

This Viper is bad-ass especially the interior. Now I just need a better career to afford it.

Avatar By: quikstang2
4/10/2012 5:42 PM

Seems like every other car on the road has that headlight shape... :( At least the rest of the car looks better than the last Viper restyle.

Avatar By: bgasioro
4/10/2012 6:48 PM

Best looking viper yet but still needs some tweeking and not impressed!

Avatar By: 77cordobaguy
4/10/2012 7:43 PM

I think the new 2013 Viper looks a lot like the last generation? Freshened up a bit,but basically the same car it used to be with a few additions like the snake eye headlights. I wish the designers at Dodge would have used that same mind set when they reincarnated the Charger,instead of making it into a sedan. Then again,why not make a Viper sedan?

Avatar By: Tweakerz
4/10/2012 8:25 PM

Sweet, like the look and expect it to perform well also, looks like getting to close would result in a snake bite, it works, def makes me think of a Viper!

Avatar By: 99SSCHEVY
4/10/2012 9:30 PM

LOOKS SWEET.IM SURE THAT FUCKER HALLS ASS TOO.A LOT OF SHIT CRAMED INTO THAT ENGINE SPACE.I CAN IMAGINE HOW MUCH IT WOULD COST TO GET TO ANYTHING TO WORK ON.PROBALLY GOT TO TAKE OUT TONS OF SHIT TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS.THATS THE PROBLEM WITH ALL THE NEWER CARS ALSO CANT GET TO SHIT UNDER THE HOOD.

Avatar By: KC_Villian34
4/10/2012 10:39 PM

@djfoxsr that car that you think has no real purpose will beat whatever "true sports car" you have around the "Ring" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdH4-gUF7cQ&list=FLaVtiI30SJK6rEmy6ISEiqQ&index=237&feature=plpp_video

Avatar By: WB9MCW
4/11/2012 11:35 AM

Not too shabby at all. And that from a Vette Guy. Too bad all the profits go to Italy now! I suppose the ZR1 is still the only real American Sports Car. Even though the profits go to Government Motors and the UNION members now. At least they are AMERICAN.

Avatar By: bates340
4/12/2012 6:29 AM

sweet ride

Avatar By: OutskirtsCustoms
4/13/2012 6:55 AM

Not bad but I'd still rather have a Challenger with a hardcore built Hemi for the money.

Avatar By: loser13
4/13/2012 5:06 PM

hey djfoxsr, have you woken up from your dream yet ???