Wagon Fever: 1987 Caprice
Posted On: 3/13/2012 9:54AM
MrAMC1

My buddy tired of his '03 Chevy Silverado and its constant check engine light troubles so he decided to sell it.  What he bought to replace it was this: a 1987 Chevy Caprice wagon!

He found the car on Craigslist and bought it for $1500.  The wagon has 117,000 on the clock, no rust anywhere (very rare for a NY car), tinted windows, and seating for eight.  The drivetrain is an Olds 307 with the 200R4 tranny.  This engine was used in all the Buick, Olds, and Pontiac cars, but this is only the second Chevy I have seen with the Olds 307.  Almost all got the Chevy 305 and 700R4.

This car had been lightly wrecked at some point and has the modular healight header panel on it with the one piece headlights instead of the original 4 light header.  Save a few door dings, this thing is mint!

The interior seats eight and has comfy crushed velour seats.  The car isn't too heavily optioned, but the AC does blow ice cold.  We already took it for a ride and it drives perfect and the 307 still pulls well.  He, his wife, and I all rode three wide in the front seat with room to spare (apparently people didn't use back seats in the 1970s according to TV shows of the era so we wanted to try that out).

Overall a great buy for $1500 and a neat cruiser.  Future plans call for ditching the dresser caps in favor of dog dishes, a spot light, and flipping the whitewalls to the inside.  This car brings back memories as I helped a college friend build an '88 Pontiac Safari with an Olds 403 back in the day so I am quite familiar with these wagons.  It should be a fun ride.

Avatar By: StreetsideStig
3/13/2012 10:53 AM

Sweet! Now all it needs is a manual swap! I'm dreaming, there, but that really is a great find for $1500.

3/13/2012 11:20 AM

I miss big wagons...

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
3/13/2012 11:50 AM

Very nice. Try not to scrap this one, kay?

Avatar By: carfreak73
3/13/2012 11:57 AM

Cool. I used to own an 86 Buick Electra wagon.

Avatar By: Rotpus_Eyeball
3/13/2012 5:41 PM

Cool wagon! I'd love to have one...

Avatar By: 77cordobaguy
3/13/2012 5:57 PM

I think it's a shame that nobody builds a full size wagon anymore. All anyone makes are SUVs. I grew up with wagons. My Dad bought a new "73 forest green Dodge Coronet Crestwood when I was a kid(I loved that car). I have owned two Oldsmobiles myself. My first wagon was a "71 Vista Cruiser. The second wagon I owned was a"73 Custom Cruiser. They don't build cars that bullet proof anymore.

Avatar By: onemean'66
3/13/2012 6:42 PM

Sweet!! keep it oiled and in the garage, and it will outrun the crap truck. caprice wagon=win

Avatar By: sam_sp
3/13/2012 8:19 PM

Moving from San Diego back to Minnesota and needed to get a snow car. With only $800 a truck was out of the question so I too got a GM wagon. It's a good thing too, because at least twice a month it is full of youth group kids (they love the back seat and think the wagon is cooler than the orange cavi).

Avatar By: boatdude13
3/13/2012 9:21 PM

i'm glad you like it

Avatar By: carguy71
3/14/2012 12:40 PM

I just bought a 1965 Ford Country Squire station wagon on ebay a couple of weeks ago. 39K original miles! 289/Cruise-O-Matic. It's the coolest car I own. Road trip time!

Avatar By: moparornocarman
3/14/2012 8:40 PM

Great wagon! I really do wish they'd bring these big wagons back

Avatar By: Eric_Deezy
3/15/2012 6:44 AM

yes yes YES! I want one of these soooo bad. It is also a bonus with the Blue interior!!

Avatar By: dwight916
3/15/2012 7:15 AM

I don't know what it is about wagons that attract some men, but i wouldn't mind having an old 66' Chevelle wagon myself.

Avatar By: caraddict34
3/15/2012 1:10 PM

I agree there's something about these things thats super appealing. I would freaking love to have an old clean one like this. Theres some newer wagons that aren't too shabby either. I wouldn't mind driving the CTS-V sport wagon from Cadillac. I'd go on more road trips just to drive this thing. check it out. http://caraddict34.blogspot.com/2012/03/cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon.html