Must Haves in a Vehicle
Posted On: 3/1/2012 8:27AM
66Mope

The good folks at Chrysler contacted me recently about entering a little “blog-off.” They gave me a few possible topics to choose from. One topic was “must haves in a vehicle.” That one made me think a bit. So here goes…

I’m going to start with brakes. If I’m gonna go, I’d like to be able to stop, too. (Brakes are less important in non-running, long-term restoration projects, but I’m going to assume that for this exercise we are talking about running vehicles.) And I definitely prefer disc brakes. Drums are fine if everyone else is on drums. But when you have SUVs stopping short in front of you on the freeway, you’re gonna want disc brakes.

My next “must have” is good outward visibility. I like to be able to see out of a car, especially if I’m going to drive it. This isn’t quite as simple as it might seem. Most older cars have big greenhouses and few blind spots. But a lot of the new stuff is kind of hard to see out of. You have fat A-pillars that obscure pedestrians and C-pillars that obscure everything. Many vehicles now require back-up cameras. Really? A back up camera? Has it come to that?

You can read the rest of my blog over at Chrysler.com. And if you like it, please vote for me! (See the voting widget down the page a bit on the left.)

Avatar By: usnrocker
3/1/2012 9:46 AM

Rob.. hate to say it but i think your gonna lose this one... theres a dude with like 200 votes to your 13....

Avatar By: MrAMC1
3/1/2012 10:05 AM

I think cars only need a few things. A decent radio, a review mirror, a heater, and decent seats. Some things I consider luxuries are cruise control, AC, and power locks, but not the self-locking ones.

3/1/2012 10:31 AM

usnrocker--LOL, yeah, I was a bit lazy and didn't start promoting it day one like some of the others. I could catch up, but only with you guys' help!

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
3/1/2012 11:12 AM

Voted!

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
3/1/2012 11:21 AM

Oh and my vehicle must-haves are good tires, manual trans, working heater, and non-leather upholstery. I'm with you on disc brakes, you at least need 'em up front. And on a car I'm planning to keep forever (which is most cars), I'd require manual roll-up windows, non-power locks/mirrors/seats, and an actual ignition key instead of a silly electronic fob. I don't want that stuff going all crunchy in 10 years and not being able to get my windows down, and I DON'T want to pay 250 bucks to replace a damn key.

Avatar By: johncoyle206
3/1/2012 12:41 PM

Voted.

Avatar By: usnrocker
3/1/2012 1:25 PM

tell them they need an SRT6 200... with a turbo Pentastar and a 6 speed....

Avatar By: caraddict34
3/1/2012 2:27 PM

Voted for ya although it seems like some other contestants have gotten quite a few more. I'd say a couple must-have's are a radio and a seat that moves. http://caraddict34.blogspot.com/

Avatar By: 74Furyous
3/1/2012 6:02 PM

Exercise your right - vote! Tell Chrysler that everything that I need in a car is in the 69 1/2 A12 Roadrunner. Full stop. Oh, and Megan Fox in the passenger seat. :-)

Avatar By: JoeCool6972
3/1/2012 6:10 PM

I agree with a lot of what you said Rob. That's the big difference between enthusiasts like us and the rest of the weirdos on the road.

Avatar By: Jperry3
3/1/2012 7:08 PM

Voted for ya. you said I agree with most of what, I don't think I would put most of the gadgets that cars have today, because I think they are useless. I agree about the keyless ignition being a problem in ten years.

Avatar By: brifri
3/2/2012 6:34 AM

On so many cars you see auto down windows, but when you think about convenience, i think auto up is more important, just thought it was worth something lol

3/2/2012 10:36 AM

Engine, trans, brakes, steering, and a fuel source. DONE.

Avatar By: zoomzoom870
3/3/2012 11:33 AM

personally i think our american car company need to look at there foreign competitors and the aftermarket industries(when i think quality i think first american cars from the first cars we made to the last of the 70's & early 80's model cars then i think of early 80's-early 2000's jap. cars) I've got about 60,000 saved up to buy a new car and I've looked everywhere and the only american cars i can even consider buying are the corvette and a used SSR...and iv'e always preferred ford or doge!! and what ever happened to gas mileage about the most fuel efficient car out now is a prius( that doesn't get 50 mpg on the highway) and I've got a GEO METRO that gets 55-60 mpg and i would be fine with gas guzzlers if they would run but I've got a 2000 saturn that i use to beat-up on all the new sport/retro fossils car running at my local strip.it seems to me like our car companys are only worried about making profit and don't care about there engineering anymore....WOW...... did I just rant?