What Do You Think About an Aftermarket Sunroof?
Posted On: 1/31/2012 9:09AM
Maddie Mi11ion

I have a 2000 Ford Focus SE that I am decking out. Now, I think sunroofs are pretty cool, but I never thought of putting one in my car until just this past week after riding in my friend's car. So I got to wondering, what would the process be for installing an aftermarket sunroof in a Focus, and what would it take cost-wise? I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership to ensure it's done "right" and so it gets a warranty, just in case it leaks or something goes wrong. What do you guys think, is this a mod you've ever considered?

Avatar By: timpalass
1/31/2012 9:17 AM

It's just like everything else. If it's done right, then it's all good.

Avatar By: ghardy27
1/31/2012 9:18 AM

once thought about it for the lemans...but i would like one that the glass completely opens up.... too much hassle for what it is...id rather put performance mods instead...

Avatar By: lasttogo2
1/31/2012 9:25 AM

Personally I think it looks tacky unless your gonna spend a lot of money getting one that slides back into the roof

1/31/2012 9:56 AM

I don't want some jerkoff with a sawzall compromising the structural integrity of my beautiful roof. No thanks lol.

1/31/2012 9:57 AM

Not a fan myself...

Avatar By: MrAMC1
1/31/2012 10:03 AM

Any aftermarket sunroof is just going to be a glued in piece through a hole cut in your roof. Most shops won't paint the cut edges of the metal so when the sealer eventually leaks the bare edges will start to rust. Aftermarket installs are a bad idea if you want to keep the car for the long haul. The only way I would ever have one is if I cut the roof off a wrecked car with a factory sunroof and welded it in. Then you get the factory action, the drain holes, and the roof has structure that goes around the hole.

1/31/2012 11:37 AM

An aftermarket sunroof is going to be the popup kind which I can't stand. The only kind I like is the slide type where it goes into the roof. So even if it's done perfect I still wouldn't like it.

Avatar By: DaveyBoyo
1/31/2012 12:39 PM

My '89 Camaro had an ASC installed with 46 km's on the car. The amount of bracing and draining and professionalism in the install is unheard of. They did a fantastic job. It's a power sunroof and works great. My only complaint is that it's the pop-up kind and only opens about 3/4 length of the sunroof. Check it out on my ride page.

Avatar By: usnrocker
1/31/2012 5:50 PM

i prefer the "California Slider" sunroofs that are a HUGE canvas sheet that slides back to open up

Avatar By: GTwildfire
1/31/2012 7:20 PM

I put one in my '74 Formula 400... back in '88. THE NIGHT, the eve of its installation it was broken. There were sneaker tracks up the trunk onto the roof. The Alpine stereo was gone. That was on the main drag through Yeadon. I'm still pissed about that. I replaced the glass the next day and put in an alarm and a Blaupunkt but missed the Alpine.

Avatar By: tuner911
1/31/2012 7:25 PM

i bought my 1997 neon with one already installed, they did a shitty job and made my roof more like a low pressure shower than anything else....i hated rainy days lol

Avatar By: BIG_CIVIC
1/31/2012 11:42 PM

No, I'd never go for an aftermarket sunroof. Only a factory fitted dealer option like I have now.

Avatar By: PreludeFire
2/1/2012 5:59 AM

I've seen a few, and I'll tell you, 95% are horrific. Seriously, plastic explosives was an option for fixing these. If you're going to do it, spend the time finding the shop that'll do it right, other wise, buy a model that had it factory installed and swap over.

Avatar By: 77cordobaguy
2/1/2012 1:36 PM

I don't think I'd do it? We had a factory sunroof on a"94 Mercury sable.I liked it,but I've never seen an aftermarket sunroof that I liked.

Avatar By: garknows
12/20/2012 12:21 PM

Ok, time to set the record straight. My father has owned and operated a sunroof and leather installation company since 1975 in the chicagoland area called Top Coverage in Elgin, IL (Photos on our FB page Top Coverage LTD). We install Webasto sunroofs (Top of the line in their industry) and Never...NEVER have we ever have a problem with the sunroof edges rusting as MRAMC1 describes. Also, rarely....RARELY do we see a leaking sunroof. Most of the time a sunroof will leak is caused by the owner of the vehicle leaving the sunroof open under a tree and elemental build up takes place in the drain tubes WHICH COULD HAPPEN TO A FACTORY SUNROOF AS WELL. However, if a company that is new to sunroof installations puts one in your car, you may experience problems that is due to the install process. My best suggestion to you is do your research on the installation company before making your decision. Best way to go about this is to call many local dealerships near you and ask who installes their sunroofs for them. The company is mentioned the most may generally be the best man for the job. If you have ever had a poorly installed sunroof in your car, that's a sad thing to hear. We are proud to be the leading sunroof installer in chicagoland. One last bit of info for you: Aftermarket companies manufacture many of the factory sunroofs, sooo your factory sunroof isn't so factory after all. Just find a good installer and I promise everything will be ok.

Avatar By: Maddie Mi11ion
4/9/2013 11:14 AM

Thank you all for the suggestions, I honestly don't know if I’m even going to do it anymore, and if I do its going to be very far down the road. At the time looking at a sun roof that opened all the way (motorized) and was gonna have a dealership to it so I can get a warranty on it. But sadly, I’m broke and barely making it by on my income. No to mention, college takes up most of my money and time. My Focus went back to being my daily drive since my last car got too bad to drive anymore and sold it off. I also have to redo the paint job on my bumper and get the timing right on the rebuilt engine. Life isn’t going the way I planned it a few years ago. I don’t even have my blog up to date since I started it and I apologize for that. It’s an ongoing project, and hopefully will get more done on my car and blog in time.