What Did You Do This Weekend?
Posted On: 1/16/2012 10:45AM
GTwildfire

I finished up my Mitsubishi Eclipse bodywork project. After selling my Camaro to a neighbor back in September, I snagged a 2000 Eclipse GT in Jersey. The seller was only asking a grand for it. It was healthy aside from a rear-end hit that broke the crash bar and basically mangled the visible parts including the hatch, but at least I could drive it home. Stoked at the opportunity, I picked up a replacement crash bar and rear bumper from Certifit after giving the seller some holding cash.

After stripping the rear end to the unibody, I used three old disc rotors for weight, a steel cable and a piece of exhaust pipe to pull it all back, then finessed the rest with a 3 lb. hammer, dolly etc. to get everything back in shape. Instead of pro shop technology like hydraulics all I had was the persuasive doink that 60 lbs of steel can provide through a steel cable, which was enough.

The emblem from the old hatch made a sweet keyfob...

The new hatch was black, and I liked the way the black looked against the car's tampa blue pearl, so instead of shooting the rear in the same color, the curve of the spoiler gave some inspiration.

This project was a Craigslist special. Car: $1000, Falken rims & Hankook tires (plus spare): $220, Hatch & assorted replacement parts: $450, LED Tails: $50. PA inspection: $45. Total investment: $1765 so far. Value? At least $3000, but I'll hold onto this for a while. Also, I'm not finished with it just yet...

Avatar By: MrAMC1
1/16/2012 10:50 AM

Nice repair job. I have fixed up a few wrecks for people at work. Took a wadded Subaru that hit a deer, found the right color hood and fender, some come-along work on the core support, new headlights and rad fans and they were back on the road. The car actually ended up looking better than it did before the wreck! I charged them $300, they were happy as the body shop wanted about $1500.

Avatar By: locomah
1/16/2012 1:20 PM

nice! to think all i managed to do was rotate my tires.. i need to get on my body repair soon

Avatar By: usnrocker
1/16/2012 1:33 PM

http://autoholics.com/2012/01/16/Boxes---Burgers-Recap-597868 had a lil fun...

Avatar By: Medazzone
1/16/2012 2:17 PM

Nice work. Wonder what you could get for it now.

Avatar By: moorethanenuff
1/16/2012 3:41 PM

If ya dont' have a puller, use a chain and a sturdy tree to pull out crunched body work....literally shade tree lol.

Avatar By: GTwildfire
1/16/2012 5:18 PM

Moore, my original idea was to use one of my trees out front, but when I put a length of pipe through the rotors and pulled on the bent steel, it soon became obvious I didn't need to use the trees. Thanks all for the encouragement!

Avatar By: TasakiDog
1/16/2012 5:37 PM

Wow...that is a lucky find. The only cars on craigslist in my area that are even close to a grand are all POS.

Avatar By: xmatiixpl
1/17/2012 10:35 AM

very nice indeed. i snagged my car for $3k and so far just finished replacing rear axle last week with a buddy. autozone for $65, so far invested under $200 in the car. planning on selling for $4500 (she has very nice goodies in her including 9lb wheels).

Avatar By: PhysX
1/17/2012 11:31 AM

Looking good

Avatar By: blaqkelectriqk
1/17/2012 12:16 PM

i did the same thing a few months ago. some douche rear ended my saturn. so i just bent everything back out, went to a salvage yard, found replacement body parts and sold that bitch and bought myself a stang :') all in all, i made out ahead from the guy hitting me. with insurance pay out and selling the saturn.

Avatar By: GTwildfire
1/17/2012 5:13 PM

blaqk... I like Saturns, had 3. Totally re-bodied a SL with a SL2 body. Doors are pretty cool how everything is accessed in them from the outside, no sharp arm holes behind interior door panels. Anyway the frankensaturn: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2529001/1995-saturn-s-series

Avatar By: novaspapa
1/18/2012 1:18 AM

so you sold your camaro to buy a bent ricer? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Avatar By: GTwildfire
1/19/2012 4:13 PM

Yeah, I did. No regrets either. I've owned dozens of american rides, this is my third foreign car. I'll probably own more Firebirds in the future. I buy what I want if the deal is good, then sell when I want to move on. Besides, the V6 camaro wouldn't stand a chance against this thing.