Low Profile Tires on a Stock 17 Inch Rim?
Posted On: 1/4/2012 10:53AM
Brick-Ridge

I have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. I lowered it 2 inches with springs. I am now needing tires. Sure I would love to roll up on 20's but my bank account is in a recession. My question is: has anyone gone with a low profile tire on a stock 17 inch rim? It would make my wheel wells look stock again but would give me another inch of drop. I really like the low life and would like to hear your thoughts.

Avatar By: timpalass
1/4/2012 10:58 AM

Ugly ass truck.

1/4/2012 10:58 AM

I like to see some sidewall, especially on a truck or muscle car!

Avatar By: TDWPgtp
1/4/2012 11:00 AM

timpalass i feel like that was unnecessary... but anyway, do a photoshop of it. thats a simple one, you could use almost any photo editing software. if you need help, just google it. theres alot of people who photoshop cars who write tutorials

Avatar By: fortyfordsedan
1/4/2012 11:27 AM

On a dropped truck it will probably look better than the high sidewall tires it already has. Things to consider are that on the highway your speedometer will read higher than your actual speed with that significant of a change in the diameter of your tire. On the highway your RPM will go up slightly, maybe 200 RPM or so, likely resulting in a little less fuel economy, although this might also improve throttle response. Look-wise I would say its probably an improvement. On the plus side, if you have any tire rub issues a shorter tire will probably help with that.

Avatar By: iTurbo
1/4/2012 11:29 AM

sell it. i hate to come off like a douche, but...

Avatar By: GetTheClicker
1/4/2012 11:30 AM

There's alternative ways cheaper towards the wheel appearance. I went the opposite way with my truck. I raised it 4" with commercial tires and larger rims from a different vehicle that still fit my stock lug fittings. There are many stock wheels from different make/model cars that look pretty sweet and are compatible.

Avatar By: BIG_CIVIC
1/4/2012 11:33 AM

I dunno. I wouldn't do it. I'd just stick with the stock wheels and tyres and save money until those tyres are worn out and then buy the wheels/tyres I really want. But to be honest I'd never lower the suspension or fit lower profile tyres on that kind of vehicle anyway. It looks like it was meant to go offroad, not cruise the streets. So if I wanted to mod it I'd go with higher suspension and bigger tyres.

Avatar By: usnrocker
1/4/2012 11:57 AM

seeing as your running a 65 series tire i would say run a 50 series and see how it looks... keep your tire width the same and it should look good.... btw good job for playing with the ugly duckling of the truck community

1/4/2012 12:32 PM

Honestly, I never would have noticed. Those are just too ugly for me to care.

Avatar By: Master_Yogi_Bear
1/4/2012 6:19 PM

it's not worth the headache, just wait and save your money

Avatar By: 77cordobaguy
1/4/2012 7:33 PM

I always thought on a truck,more ground clearance was the idea? Not less ground clearance? In my mind,that kinda defeats the purpose of buying a pickup.That makes as much sense as these guys that lower a truck,or turn the bed into a giant speaker. Let's see Hmmm what's a truck for? Oh Yeah,to haul things.

Avatar By: regal_reatta_90
1/4/2012 7:46 PM

Its not a truck. Its a crv with a wannabe truck bed on it. so it doesn't really matter. sell it, buy a chevy truck. i mean come on. a front transaxle. its not a truck.

Avatar By: johng1970
1/4/2012 10:06 PM

Either way, as long as your dropping the truck it's no longer useful as a truck, so you might as well make it look like a Go-Cart and strip all the side fenders off, take the doors off, etc. Not like it's any good for off-road driving, hauling, towing, etc. And if it is a front-wheel drive truck, it's actually a laughing stock at that!

Avatar By: TDWPgtp
1/4/2012 10:18 PM

apparently everyone one here hates those trucks... i dont think they are ugly, although the FWD is pretty dumb. do what you want. i probably hate half of the people who commented on here's cars too. to each his own

Avatar By: Spyke383
1/5/2012 5:02 AM

you can put low profile tires on a truck, but you will loose some of your "trucks" load capabilities, and you will have to watc for pot holes, cause they will seriously fuck up ur rims and underside since u lowered it.

Avatar By: Team61RaceCars
1/5/2012 7:55 AM

They wouldn't fill the wheel wells enough, too much empty space between the tire and body, go with 18's at least. The 'raging hate' comments are from morons....unnecessary, just ignore them.

Avatar By: albania_fier
1/5/2012 2:01 PM

The truck is based on Honda pilot and Acura mdx not Honda Crv With that being said go for it, truck should Look Ok but forget about going off asphalt especially with it being lowered

Avatar By: usnrocker
1/5/2012 6:32 PM

some of you guys need to check out some of the RideTech shop trucks... they are bagged and still used as a truck... hauling gravel, furniture and other stuff

Avatar By: soulcalibur
1/5/2012 6:38 PM

http://www.tirerack.com Check there, you can add your truck and see different wheels / tires on it.

Avatar By: M45lover
1/5/2012 11:29 PM

Don't do it.

Avatar By: Brick-Ridge
2/23/2012 10:09 PM

Wow, What a mixed bag of comments. What's with the Haters? I guess buying Chevy & Ford makes people bitter and just rude.