Lane Hoggers vs. Speed Demons
Posted On: 12/2/2011 9:27AM
jbrinkcivic

This fantastic article I found on CNN yesterday, "Slow Drivers, Get Out of Our Way," almost perfectly describes my feelings when I'm commuting to work every day. Like most of you, I have a commute of about 30 miles each way. Mine happens to be down heavily traveled interstates (I-95 in western CT). I work 11am-8pm, and you'd think that would mean there's no traffic, but this is absolutely not the case. Google Maps puts my commute at 43 minutes each way, but traffic and lane hoggers easily can stretch this to an hour and 20 minutes. Literally every time I make this commute I am stuck with multiple instances of left-lane-hogging drivers, inevitably in a Prius or a minivan, going below the speed limit and slower than the speed of traffic. Looking in front of them you can see miles of empty tarmac, but they refuse to move over. Even worse, when the line behind them moves right to pass they often will speed up, forcing those of us who actually have somewhere important to be to behave less safely than we would like. And after the passes are complete they will still not move right. The CNN article sums up my views very well: If you're going slower than the speed limit, or if there is a line of cars behind you, simply move over! It is the law, and it is not your place to make everyone drive slower than they would like. It is each driver's right to do as they please, and it is the job of the police to ensure that they are safe. The 3000+ comments on this article, which are absolutely worth reading (some are hysterical, and there's a huge argument) clearly illustrate both sides of the story. I was interested to see what a car-loving community would have to say: what are your thoughts on left-lane hogging?

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
12/2/2011 9:58 AM

I don't think people are even aware anymore that they're only supposed to use the left lane for passing. You see so many oblivious idiots dawdling along in the fast lane that it really is beginning to seem that it's not common knowledge anymore. On an unrelated note, OMG: TWO 1st-gen Escorts on the right side of the highway, second lane from the center, one with GT taillights!! That seriously made my day.

Avatar By: DaveyBoyo
12/2/2011 10:05 AM

Okay I have a question: Say that you're in the left lane, going 15-20 mph faster than the posted limit, and passing cars in the right lane. If someone comes right up your ass, even though you're passing other cars, are you still obligated to move over?

Avatar By: jbrinkcivic
12/2/2011 10:08 AM

I know, people don't seem to pay attention to the law book that they're supposed to study before their license test. Unfortunately in CT there are not signs telling people that this is a law either. On the way home from work yesterday this lane hogging thing happened 3 times, and again twice this morning. And to ice the cake one of them was an early/excessive braker. Incredibly frustrating.

Avatar By: jbrinkcivic
12/2/2011 10:09 AM

And yes, regardless of how fast I'm going I will always move over as soon as possible if someone wants to travel faster than I do. I'm not a hypocrite about this, I believe that everyone should adhere to common courtesy.

12/2/2011 10:44 AM

Get out of my way, or I WILL pit your ass. I usually 'draft' slow cars. If they try the brake check shit on me, I pass 'em on the inside shoulder.

Avatar By: LJ____
12/2/2011 12:03 PM

As very annoying as this is, I hate when people have an open left lane and don't use it when there is an emergency/disabled vehicle on the shoulder even more.

12/2/2011 12:54 PM

Jbrink don't worry signs don't help either, they have them on the 15 south towards San Diego and no one cares they'll go 55 on the left. And forget the escorts what car is the one right to the red light? Looks like a camaro but the tail lights make me think otherwise.

Avatar By: MrAMC1
12/2/2011 1:22 PM

I drive about 5 mph over the limit all the time except in deer zones where I slow up a bit. On highways I always drive with my eyes looking front and back. I stay right unless passing. If I have to hammer it into the left lane to get by a slow car without getting freight-trained by the left lane I'll do it, but get right back out of the way so not to impede the people that want to do 80. Unfortunately, just like all other facets of life today, the vast majority of folks don't know the rules, could give a shit about the rules, and are only out for themselves. Be it going 40 in the passing lane or 100 in the right lane, people don't care what they are doing to you. When I was towing back from Cleveland on the 90 last week I had cars blowing by me at 75-85 on the left AND right at the same time. I was in the middle lane because I got tired of on-rampers not yielding, forcing me to manuever for them. Some jackass was cutting across 4 lanes in the 90 degree turn on the 90 right in Cleveland at about 50 in a Mercedes. I was waiting for him to lose it, but he didn't. If I was govenour of any state that needed more revenue I would have all the troopers out on pulling all these assholes over for anything 10 mph over the limit or impeding traffic and giving out the highest fines allowed. Maybe people would get the message after a few $300 tickets that they can't behave like complete fucking assholes every second they are on the road.

Avatar By: Grimjoker
12/2/2011 4:52 PM

Me thinks things would be a lot better if people actually used the passing lane to...pass... I've gotten on many friends who(unlike me and think of cars a simply a way to commute lol...) who would drive at or below the speed limit in the passing lane. Lol I love the look on their face when I tell them they are breaking the law by doing thatXD but as for the rules of the passing lane, Germany's autobahn is pretty much a 4 lane road with 2 lanes going in each direction(separated by a divider) with no legal speed limit and it works! Meanwhile we have 2 hour long traffic delays thank's to soccer moms driving 10 or so miles below the speed limit and people scrambling to get around them. That and people with busted cars should not be allowed to drive on the highway. If you have a fear your wheel is about to come off stay to city streets at least....

Avatar By: BIG_CIVIC
12/2/2011 6:02 PM

I try to drive in the right lane as much as possible and usually don't go more than 20 km/h over the limit (in Japan). But over here it seems that drivers don't know or don't care which lane they are supposed to be in so I am constantly swapping lanes to pass slow drivers. What really annoys me is when I am already in the fast lane passing other vehicles and doing about 20 over when some other asshole comes up about a foot from my rear bumper. I can't do anything except speed up even more which I am not gonna do for a jerk like that so I usually slam my brakes on hard. I also keep a big torque wrench in my glove box for occasions like this because more often than not they persist in tailgating me up to the next traffic light which is when I get out my car and give them what for.

12/3/2011 10:33 AM

nes, I'm pretty sure that is a camaro. Wrap-around window means it's 75 or newer. Ugly as sin bumper means it can only be about 75-76.

12/3/2011 10:34 AM

Blue '88 camry behind the U haul, fourth car back.

Avatar By: fortyfordsedan
12/3/2011 6:00 PM

I think it really comes down to people not even being aware of whats going on around them. They are not aware that they are impeding anyone, or thinking about that. Really its a common theme in driving, like people blocking intersections with their car so they can pull up an extra 20 feet in stopped traffic. Some people are jerks but I think the majority of the people on the roads are just zoned out.

Avatar By: Spyke383
12/5/2011 7:19 AM

I hate slow drivers

Avatar By: carfreak73
12/6/2011 10:34 AM

Slow lane hoggers and excessive speeders who tail gate are classic idiots that I have a special way of dealing with. But my new pet peeve is people who text while driving. I don't know what's worse, the swerving and erratic speed changes. I swear they are nearly as dangerous as a drunk driver.

Avatar By: JoeCool6972
12/16/2011 8:01 PM

If I am driving 10-15 over the limit and you expect me to move over with the slow cars... FUCK YOU! There is no such thing as "the fast lane", ask any police officer. The left lane is not the autobahn.