Where Was Your Car Built? Country of Origin Cheat Sheet
Posted On: 5/3/2011 12:26PM
SuzyBruisy

Buying American used to be a pretty fail-safe way of keeping your consumer dollars within the national economy. But with the domestics outsourcing vehicle assembly to Canada and Mexico, and forgeign manufacturers opening plants in the American South, the issue isn't as clear-cut as it used to be: just ask any owner of a new Mustang equipped with one of those junk 6-speeds from China. The way I see it, the location of a manufacturer's corporate headquarters is still the important thing: i.e., if you buy a Japanese car, no matter how many Alabamans the manufacturer has hired, the profits from the sale of that car will still be siphoned out of the US economy. Politics aside, from a strictly quality-control perspective, I'd rather have parts sourced from Canada than from China. But in a global economy, how do you sort out where you car and its parts come from? New York Times has produced this cool interactive cheat sheet that provides the basics on most new cars: where its engine and transmission came from, and where it was assembled. While it's standard for the "built in America" Japanese cars to source every major component from home and then simply do the final assembly in an American plant, the Big Three often aren't much better, frequently picking up cut-rate parts from other countries. How about you? Is your car on this list? Do you know where it was built?

5/3/2011 12:30 PM

My model is not on there so I'm not sure, I know the body is made in the states but I found parts that say made in Mexico. Being a third gen Camaro I'm guessing here in the states.

Avatar By: FordFanX
5/3/2011 12:42 PM

If you own a Ford Fiesta, Mexico.

5/3/2011 12:49 PM

The Plymouth and Subaru were built in the USA. The Volvo in Sweden.

5/3/2011 1:44 PM

Well from what I understand when I look at the VIN on my truck if it starts with a 1 it was assembled in the US and with a 2 it was assembled in Canada. Mine says Canada but that's just where it's assembled, not sure how many parts are made where, that's just where it was all put together.

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
5/3/2011 2:42 PM

Btw, outsourcing assembly and/or parts is of course nothing new: my '81 AMC Eagle was built at the Brampton, Ontario AMC plant. And my '82 Ford Escort most likely came from the Ford of Canada plant in Oakville, also Ontario.

Avatar By: 74Furyous
5/3/2011 3:40 PM

Belvidere IL. Not much out of China in 1974.

Avatar By: albania_fier
5/3/2011 5:48 PM

most of my rides say daimler chrysler on em i cant say where theyre really from

Avatar By: DUBfanatic
5/3/2011 7:46 PM

I like the fact that most of the GM rides have their parts made in Europe. Mostly in France and Austria. In my opinion, Europe takes more time and pride into what they build.

Avatar By: Nova_Boy454ss
5/3/2011 8:01 PM

All I can say is two of my cars are almost all American. One of my engines is Brazilian and one is Canadian assembled none of which are on the list. Stupid UAW and all the American Car companies. Better cars no unions BMW! Just sayin.

Avatar By: codecki
5/3/2011 8:21 PM

Didn't know it was considered "out-sourcing" to Canada

Avatar By: krush454
5/3/2011 10:08 PM

I know exactly where my car was built, and are we so afraid of globalization that we need to only buy things built in our countries? Maybe if you dont like outsourcing, buy from a used dealer then you know the money is going to someone trying to add 55% interest to your car but hey your money isnt leaving the country! Until he, or you, go on vacation to spain

Avatar By: Gauss
5/4/2011 5:35 AM

Toyota. Made in Japan.

Avatar By: tazgts
5/4/2011 6:54 AM

All new cars these days are all the same, built in America with parts from Japan. Thats why Fords are reliable now, they have Mazda parts lol.

Avatar By: ohsixspeedsix
5/4/2011 7:42 AM

Unlike all other 6's, which were built in the american ford plant, my mazdaspeed 6 was built in hiroshima japan.

Avatar By: muscleorbust
5/4/2011 9:10 AM

My Plymouth was born in L.A. I don't remember where the SSEi was made, I think it was somewhere in Michigan...

Avatar By: ej6coupe
5/4/2011 1:02 PM

MADE IN U.S.A ...is what it says inside my door jam on my (ricer) civic.