Are Gamers More Dangerous on the Road?
Posted On: 1/31/2011 1:25PM
66Mope

'Cause that's what Continental Tires seems to be concluding with their recent study, which indicates that players of racing video games are significantly more likely to be stopped by the police, take risks and wreck their cars. I guess my question is this: is it the fault of video games, or is it simply that the kind of folks who like to play video games are also more likely to engage in reckless driving? As you might imagine, IGN thinks the whole thing is silly. Read all the stats from the study at Jalopnik and then tell us what you think!

Avatar By: axxelander
1/31/2011 1:44 PM

this might be true, ever since I was 5 years old when I started playing video games (mario kart) almost all the games I had were racing games.... and now that I'm 18 I love to drive, and sometimes I have the need for speed. the good thing is that it only happens when the streets are clear xD

Avatar By: Idefix
1/31/2011 1:51 PM

I don't think so, I mean I don't have a continuous boost/nitrous button to press in my car XP and mine doesn't re-initialize when I'm wrecked lol All and all, the games won't cause you to drive fast, heck they might even give you that escape you need to take the law out for a race and leave 11z on the driveway which you can't do in real life. I say it's not bad at all, it's like violence in movies...you only act out on it if you were going to anyway.

1/31/2011 1:53 PM

That's stupid! Same "GTA makes people wanna run over prostitutes and do a drive-by" argument. I've been driving since I was 16 and playing racing games since 7 and have only 1 speeding ticket at age 24, the cop was surprised I didn't have any priors and he ALMOST wanted to let me go clean. Racing games actually help me not be reckless on the real world.

Avatar By: DodgeAdict
1/31/2011 2:29 PM

In my opinion it depends on the individual, there are instances when a person get a high speed release from playing games like GTA IV and Midnight Club, but on the other hand there are people that wanna see if they really can drive like they can in the video games, and because I’m not a hypocrite lair I’ll tell you right now that even I, a very safe driver try video game inspired stunts sometimes, I screwed up my late uncles truck by loosing control and hitting a fence because I was driving too fast, and just yesterday I learned my cars limits and almost had a head on wreck with a F-350

Avatar By: carsick30
1/31/2011 2:36 PM

i know when i'm out on a city street i always try to do a corner slide to get those points up so i can deploy a spike strip and slow down the cops chaisng me.

Avatar By: DomDomingo
1/31/2011 3:03 PM

Yeah right, I think its the exact opposite... If you play racing games from a young age its more like training and learnin' of what a car does in certain situations, of course physics in games are not realistic but some got some pretty authentic ones... point is I think it improves your driving and reaction skills!

Avatar By: RockShox
1/31/2011 3:25 PM

Real life amateur racers are the ones likely to be reckless on streets.

Avatar By: locomah
1/31/2011 3:27 PM

I was playing Grid on xbox a few days ago at my buddy's house and when i left i was pretty cautious because i realize im not driving an AMG. I cant speak for others, but it certainly doesnt affect me

1/31/2011 3:32 PM

I used to play games and none of them would make me want to do the same stuff in real life rather it was a racing game or 1st person shooter (ll games I played were realistic ones by the way, none of that future BS like Halo). The way I used to drive had nothing to do with the games, I was just like that. I calmed down a lot at 20 when I got my CDL (little over 5 years ago, Nov. of '05), I stopped playing video games a couple years ago when I had to sell my PS3. It's like saying guns kill people, it's the people killing people. A gun only kills someone if the gun has an actual mechanical issue causing it to misfire. If someone wants to translate a video game into real life then they're not mentally all there and shouldn't be driving in the 1st place.

Avatar By: ChAMbER_CUStOMS
1/31/2011 3:44 PM

This is like when people were blaming gta for kids bringing guns to school. Some people are stupid and believe that the games are real. I play racing games and first person shooters and i don't drive around thinking i drive a supercar and that i put the "game" on no damage mode or run around my neibourhood with an m16 throwing grenades around. Maybe psych tests should be required in order to purchase certain games apart from super mario....unless these idiots think they can run around jumping on peoples heads

Avatar By: krush454
1/31/2011 4:08 PM

Okay ima nerd and a gamer, and i have seen other people that play racing games, i dont personally because anyone that knows shit about cars knows no game comes close to real driving no mater what. Anyways, yeah people that seem to think their game knowledge is equal to driving knowledge are idiots. they should revoke your license with every copy of Need For Speed you buy!

Avatar By: subcero
1/31/2011 4:22 PM

I agree with alot of the comments said on this. It's not the game.........its the idiot. I have been playing video games all of my life as well ranging from Mortal Kombat to the most current Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Not one time did i get the urge to try to rip someone's head off with their spine dangling nor run into oncoming traffic hitting nitrous. I own a turbocharged mustang and playing racing games never made me wanna go out and do something stupid. Now we do have those occasional peanut brains that are influenced by the slightest stimulant and will go out and do something stupid. Those people are the one's who need help because it doesn't have to be a racing game that influences them. It could be anything.

Avatar By: 74Furyous
1/31/2011 4:42 PM

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I do know that even after growing up with Pong, I still can't hit a tennis ball to save my life.

Avatar By: BigMike3023
1/31/2011 6:03 PM

I think there's a truth to this with certain age groups. I think this would be most prevalent among HS students. When I was in high school playing NFS and Gran Turismo, I was hitting corners way harder than I should have been. But now, I still play FM3 and NFS:HP, and I don't drive like that at all. I chill now, for the most part ;)

Avatar By: bimmer528i
1/31/2011 7:11 PM

In some respect I think playing games has allowed me to be a better driver. I had a situation this afternoon where someone was driving on my side of the road around a corner and I was able to react quick enough where I was able to avoid them. I think in terms of developing reflexes video games have been extremely helpful. Also, some of the more realistic driving games like PGR, Gran Turismo, etc give some of the basics of car control even if it's not a driving simulation. Basic things like counter steering are learned this way and I feel that to some extent real vehicle control is learned this way. It comes down to the person who is driving. Regardless of video game usage you will still find people who play games and drive recklessly just like you'll find people who don't play games and still drive just as recklessly. It comes down to the individual and this is not a blanket statement for everyone on the road today. It's about responsibility.

Avatar By: 85camarolover
1/31/2011 7:29 PM

in some ways playing racing games do help driving. i live in wisconsin so i knew exactly what to do when i started loosing control. honestly games helped me remain calm too. on the other hand, i do have the need for speed and reckless driving. i still know not to though with other motorists around me. i endanger myself, which i think is fine because if i crash by myself, then its all on me. and im fine with that.

Avatar By: MopTop
1/31/2011 7:45 PM

I'm busted!! Everyday I get in my Bugatti and drive very reckless, hitting anything that gets in my way. Also, I put in a cheat code so the car never gets damaged :D People that blame video games, music and movies for how others behave are usually the ones trying to sue to get free money or are bad parents.

1/31/2011 8:15 PM

The whole point of video games is to let people experience things they may never actually get to do in real life. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE THEM. I doubt I'll ever have a nascar career, or race for a living lol. Yeah, I'm a wild driver, but it's NOT because of video games. Of course I LOVE racing/driving games, because I can do the crazy shit I'd only dream of doing in a real car. Just because gamers like me get into the game, doesn't mean we can't tell the difference between what's real, and whats fantasy.

Avatar By: mrud1
1/31/2011 8:20 PM

No. Not true. I play racing games to have a feel of things I dream of doing. On the road, it is my life on stake. Besides, regular real-life cars can not really race. Reckless driving is done by less educated drivers, regardless of video game playing, I believe.

1/31/2011 8:22 PM

@85camarolover "i live in wisconsin so i knew exactly what to do when i started loosing control." You mean that about the snow or just Wisconsin makes you loose control?

Avatar By: SierraPower
1/31/2011 8:33 PM

silly nonsense!!

Avatar By: GTwildfire
1/31/2011 8:43 PM

someone's theory who needs to show he thought something up while drawing from his research grant.

Avatar By: albania_fier
2/1/2011 6:46 AM

you see in north america everything happens fast cuzz its needed fast like fast food!! but i speed cuzz i have to be somewhere on time like home or work but i do admit that at times i break traffic laws because someone zooms by me in some flashy rims or paintjob or bodykit that they thinks looks good and if im in my truck..i cant resist but put them in their place!

Avatar By: 2digits
2/1/2011 3:43 PM

I agree

Avatar By: Dopeboy510
2/1/2011 8:35 PM

i believe that games actually help with you driving because i have been playing racing games since i was 4 and i believe it has helped me be more aware when driving on the other i have a supercharged mustang and when i get the need for speed :) i go with the flow for about 5 miles

Avatar By: TrailBlazeder
2/2/2011 10:51 AM

complete bullshit, grew up on need for speed and grand tourismo, never been pulled over in 7 years. (knock on wood)

Avatar By: HotRodHoney
2/3/2011 8:48 AM

I suppose it's possible. I have noticed I want to drive a bit more aggressively after hours of Burnout. But it's usually just a fleeting thought which gets stopped when I realize I'm not in the game.....I would imagine there are some people that can't stop that thought.