Widened Steelies?
Posted On: 10/29/2010 2:23PM
2slo2drag

As far as wheels go, I'm sure we've all had some stock steelies at some point on our cars.  Heck, they're tougher than nails, and need no real care or attention.  If you don't like them, you can just put on hubcaps.

It's exactly because of their classic style and resistance to normal wear and tear that steelies have become more and more popular recently as an aesthetically pleasing wheel option. Of course, there will always be the '32 Fords and T-Buckets cruising around with colored steelies and dogdish hubcaps. But the ones I'm talking about are the widened variety.Hit the jump to see more!

Most commonly used on stock car racing vehicles, these wheels have slowly moved into popular car culture as a viable style.  The combo of stretched tires and widened steelies always looks good, as long as the right offsets are used.

There are those that would hate on this trend, but let's be realistic.  Not all of us can afford BBS RS's, Cragar SS's, or Work Equip's.  This is a great spin on a type of wheel we all have or can easily get.  If you take the time to look, a set of steel wheels can be had for cheap.  Also, companies such as Diamond Racing make new sets for good prices with custom specifications.  The possibilities are endless.

You can paint the however you wish, and don't have to feel guilty if you screw it up.  You can sand 'em back down to the bare metal without any problems, and simply repaint them again.

They are perfect for the beginner street/strip hot rod, or for the beater you want that perfect stance for.  Widened steelies?  A welcome addition to popular car culture.

10/29/2010 2:28 PM

Hot!!!

Avatar By: eg2
10/29/2010 3:09 PM

very nice. love the look.

Avatar By: rc1320
10/29/2010 5:38 PM

I love my self some deep dish but I don't know about the checkers.

10/29/2010 5:41 PM

Ryan, checkers will look hot on your slammed Bug.

Avatar By: SuzyBruisy
10/29/2010 5:48 PM

Those checkered-flag wheels are sick as fuck. I'd wanna run those on my NASCARed-out Bobby Allison tribute red-white-and-blue AMC Matador. Awesome!

Avatar By: usnrocker
10/29/2010 6:58 PM

i wonder how much it would cost to widen a set of steelies... that would be a cool addition to my ram instead of SRT's...

Avatar By: GTwildfire
10/29/2010 7:21 PM

I've always thought of steelies as a badge of mediocrity at best, embarrassment at worst. Most of these look good. If only my stock of steelies in the shed were wider... I got steelies on my Fiero, and am planning on putting full moons on 'em in cooler weather for a different look and easy maintenance.

10/30/2010 7:58 AM

Steelies are awesome stock. A car with steelies and no hubcaps says, "I will not hesitate to wreck your ass, because I really couldn't give any less of a shit." I love that look.

Avatar By: shelby_2blue
10/30/2010 8:51 AM

oh that is nice. Steelies are sweet, i have 16x8s on my green Jeep with hankook tires, get more compliments on those than my 16x8 aluminum rubicons on my tan jeep

Avatar By: WickedS13
10/30/2010 10:59 AM

Can we get a good link to some of the places that sell Wide steelies?

Avatar By: M45lover
10/30/2010 12:35 PM

Suzybruisy you dumb bitch. Shut the fuck up.

Avatar By: albania_fier
10/30/2010 5:55 PM

never thought id say it but theyre not bad at all

Avatar By: robpurifoy
10/30/2010 9:02 PM

A fad fading fast. The chrome or flat black revolution is not over yet. No one wants to see ugly azz lug nuts either-sorry.

Avatar By: midnighter
10/31/2010 8:51 AM

That is a fabulious idea.

Avatar By: jhueb
10/31/2010 9:54 AM

Have a pair of steelies on my Bug widened with the caps to match satin black of course, over here in Germany we are seeing this more and more even on high in cars.

Avatar By: 2slo2drag
10/31/2010 6:07 PM

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/ Here is Diamond Racing's website. Good prices. Honda forums and VWVortex should be able to find local wheel/welding shops that can widen your old steelies for you.

Avatar By: Youngdeezy
11/9/2010 2:41 PM

thats sick

Avatar By: Shmak1982
12/25/2010 10:05 PM

Hell, the one with the checkered flag actually don't look half bad.

Avatar By: 2digits
3/6/2011 12:52 PM

Always loved this look!

Avatar By: JoeCool6972
6/18/2011 1:45 PM

That is HOT! Gonna do big steelies on my new truck.